Illegal, unreported, or unregulated fishing is one of the most significant risks our oceans face. Over 20% of the world’s fishing catch (and up to 40% in some regions) falls under IUU fishing, and the depletion of fish resources has a more considerable impact on the supply chain and the environment than one can imagine.
For this reason, at ATLAN Space, we have decided to take matters into our own hands and leverage existing technology to help institutions fight IUU fishing and sustain their marine ecosystems. We have seen considerable potential in using drones and Artificial Intelligence to carry out missions that would allow fisheries monitoring and offer solutions to efficiently report illegal vessels. Our AI module has allowed commercial drones to perform anti-IUU missions successfully, efficiently, and at a lower cost while providing real-time actionable insights.
WHAT IS ATLAN INSIGHT?
Our technology “ATLAN Insight” is a cutting-edge AI module that understands its environment and safely performs complex autonomous actions. It uses high endurance autonomous drones capable of flying beyond visual line of sight (BVLoS) to detect, identify and track suspicious activities in real-time, allowing our customers to make time-sensitive decisions and protect their marine biodiversity.
What ATLAN Space brings to the table is a way to complement existing infrastructures. For instance, using AIS & Satellites to track and report illegal fishing vessels does not provide proof for legal prosecution, cannot detect dark vessels in the absence of AIS, or if the latter is turned off, does not offer accurate imaging in the case of optical satellites, and is not viable for real-time decision-making. On the other hand, light planes are costly, with an OPEX of around $1,750 per hour. In addition, they extensively rely on human expertise, leading to a high cost of hiring and training pilots and a high risk of human fatalities or injury.
WHAT DOES ATLAN INSIGHT OFFER?
- Higher coverage: A reliable way to monitor over 10,000 Km2 of ocean activity, hence optimizing a human operator’s capabilities with AI and allowing pilots to take full advantage of the drone’s endurance (4+ hours of flight time).
- Prosecutable Material: ATLAN Insight’s payload sensors have high optical sensitivity and can increase imaging precision by lowering altitude, which allows the drone to detect and identify key objects aboard the vessel and provides clear images. These images can be retrieved once the drone is back to base. They include time and geolocation stamps and can be used as legal materials for prosecution (this depends on the local legal frameworks).
- Better value for money: The use of glass fiber, foam, and additive manufacturing has drastically decreased the cost of drones; these additives have made maintenance and repairs affordable and accessible.
HOW DOES OUR AI PROTECT OCEAN’S BIODIVERSITY?
- Swarm: When deploying multiple units, the aboard AI identifies the optimal drone unit allocation for maximum coverage of the areas of interest.
- Safety/security: Enhancing process automation using AI optimizes security at every phase of the mission. It guarantees diligent processing of sensitive data, eliminating the risk of human tampering.
- Efficiency: Real-time processing of data aboard the drone ensures higher information quality and a clearer situational awareness. Drones can proactively send time-sensitive notifications. Since ATLAN’s technology provides a holistic transcript of any fishing situation in real-time, the user receives actionable processed knowledge, anywhere on earth, to make informed decisions fast.
HOW DOES ATLAN INSIGHT COMPARE TO ALREADY AVAILABLE SOLUTIONS?
At ATLAN Space, we have developed a technology that complements existing solutions to fight IUU:
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO MAKE OUR TECHNOLOGY WORK FOR YOU?
ATLAN Space’s AI only needs broad area and objective instructions to optimize operations and successfully execute the mission at hand. To achieve this, we offer accessible and comprehensive technical training and documentation that allows any operator to know how to deploy ATLAN Insight in just a few days.